Our Pioneers & Mentors
History of HCC
In 1938 the missionaries of Mission Covenant Church of Sweden (MCCS) were asked to leave from East-Turkistan (Sin Kiang). In 1939 MCCS decided to go and start working in India instead.
In 1940, the first missionaries came to Bombay and Poona in the state of Maharashtra. The work was primarily carried out among the Muslim population.
In 1948 the work was extended to Solapur. Sister Maj Franzen initiated the health care work in the remote villages of Solapur.
In 1963 the Hindustani Covenant Church (HCC) was formed with Pastor B. Thoma as the 1st Moderator.
In 1967 ‘Solapur Well Service’ was established for the drilling of wells and manufacturing of the hand pumps.
In 1968 the church started to work in the Karnataka State.
In 1981 “St. Luke’s Medical Society” was founded for the purpose of coordinating the health care work of the church.
In the year 2000 the evangelistic work began in Orissa and Uttar Pradesh.
During 2001 the work began in Andaman Island. In 2002 it expanded to Gujarat.
In 2003 it extended to Goa.